Old buildings and traces of the past can be found all over the island.
The church of Ouddorp shows traces of extremely old construction methods. The current church building was for the most part built in 1348, but both the (re)use of tuff and some pieces of wall suggest that the core of the building must be older. It is known, among other things, that Mr Van Klepperstee donated a sum of money for a tower and a church in the year 1100.
In the thirteenth century, the Van Somerlandt family erected a so-called motte-and-bailey castle near Ouddorp. In such a castle—more like a fortified house—the main building stands on a steep hill surrounded by a moat. The hill is created mainly with the soil from the moat that has been dug around it. A small hill is the only tangible memory. The hill is now a protected area so it will not be built on again.
The Goedereede tower is a square grey-bricked church tower in the historical town of Goedereede. The tower was built between 1467 and 1512. Between 1552 and 1912 the tower served as a beacon.